A police officer and a conscript were killed Saturday morning after their vehicle was attacked by anonymous gunmen in Giza, the interior ministry said.
In its statement, the Ministry of Interior announced the death of the Moneeb's traffic department director as well as a conscript in their vehicle while heading to work.
The ISIS-affiliated group "Sinai Province" claimed responsibility for the attack later on Saturday in a statement posted on an affiliated twitter account.
The group said in its statement that a security convoy consisting of three vehicles was targeted by the group's elements, leading to the death of a colonel and all personnel in the convoy.
However, the interior ministry states that the attack targeted only the vehicle mentioned above, leading to the death of both passengers.
On Friday night, two armed men stormed into a hotel in Hurghada, leaving three tourists injured, according to an interior ministry statement.
The injured were two Austrian tourists and a Swedish tourist. Security forces killed one of the gunmen and injured the other.
On Thursday, an attack targeted a hotel and a tourist bus in Giza's Haram district, leaving no casualties, according to the ministry's statements. The day of the attack coincided with the eastern Christmas celebrated on Jan. 7 by Egypt's Coptic Orthodox Christian minority.
Thursday's attack was also claimed by the "Sinai Province".
Previously known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, the group changed its name to the "Sinai Province" after declaring its allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) in November 2014.
The group is mostly active in North Sinai where an insurgency has been escalating since the military ousted President Mohamed Mursi in July 2013, following mass protests against his rule.
Bombings and shootings are not as frequent in Greater Cairo, but the group has claimed a number of operations targeting vital facilities and security personnel.
Last November, the militant group claimed responsibility for an attack which killed four policemen in Giza as well.